Monday, December 4, 2006

Update on us...in Bullet Form

Hey everyone! I decided to start a blog, I saw Selena's and Trevor's blog and liked them, so I told Dan that we would start one too...anyway, gonna copy and paste a few entries from my livejournal to get started, so here goes, enjoy...

November 3rd

I haven't actually written anything in a long time, so I figured I could update while I'm bored at work. Although no one reads this, it might actually help me to write what's been going on the past little while, it's hard to keep track of!

-Well, let's see, living in Halifax is going well enough. We live outside of the city in Bayers Lake so we aren't actually in the city and never seem to go in, so it doesn't quite feel like it did in the summer when I lived smack dab in the middle. I mean, my work isn't even in the city, it's like 10 mins away on the border of Bayers Lake! So yeah, we don't do too much and it doesn't feel very different, but it's still nice to be somewhere new. Dan seems to enjoy it enough as well, he doesn't need change as much as me so he would of been fine in Fredericton, butI had to get out of there and so far I don't regret the decision...I haven't lived in Fredericton since the end of April, so it's been awhile, it feels final, I went to visit there a few weeks ago and it was strange, which is a sign that you no longer live there I think, same feeling when I get when I go home to Sussex...

-My job...well, it's not bad, that's all I can say. It's still a call center but luckily it's not as monotonous or droning as some other call centers. There is alot of work that you can do off the phones, which is a nice break, and generally the people are easy to deal with. Some hard customers of course, but at least we are dealing with businesses who know what they are doing most of the time and not the general public (like in my old job)...so that's good. The work is decent, which helps. The pace is alot slower than where I worked before as well, you aren't drowning in calls all day long, you get nice little breaks in between. The hours and scheduling are ok, it's 9am to 9pm, which isn't awful. I get every other week end off, on average, which isn't bad either. The only thing that bugs me about scheduling is that we only get our schedules one week at a time, so you can't plan for things too far ahead of time...I never know my schedule for next week until the Friday before...hopefully that'll change soon. Also we have to work holidays, so I'm almost positive that I'm going to be working Christmas and all that, which will suck, but what can you do, I don't mind all that much, it's good money so what the heck. So yeah, that's my job as a Technical Support Agent for Cisco Systems, woo.

-My husband...well he's great :) Things are going well there, same a always really, we pretty much act like we always did except now we talk about 'our' money (which I'm still not used to) and we discuss the future and kids and things more seriously than before. But yeah, everything else is the same, he's wonderful as always...it's weird to say 'husband' still, but I'm getting used to it...I do feel old and weird saying it to other people my age who aren't married and who maybe aren't even dating, I feel like they look at me weird like I'm some obsessed backwards kinda girl who got married too young...but 23 isn't young! Anyway...but yeah, it's all good, I'm happy, no regrets yet! And my wedding pictures are beautiful ;) haha

-My husband Part 2: Dan went through some crazy times over the past month...basically our short term plans have been completely turned around, and it's all because of him (not that I'm complaining, they are good decisions) Basically our plan when we decided to move was that Dan was going to go to St Mary's and finish his Business degree and I would work. I was going to work and then 2 years later once he finished we would head off to where he could get work...but then, 3 weeks before we got married, about a week before he moved here, he said that he wasn't so sure about school and was maybe thinking about taking a trade instead. I was soooo happy because, well, I hate university and was worried for the same reasons as him...he wouldn't get a job. So we decided that we would both work this year since it was too late to apply to NSCC and he didn't know what he wanted to do yet, and then next year he would take a one year course in Halifax. Fine by me. So after a few weeks of being here Dan decides that he would like to do plumbing, which is fine by me as well, it's a good reliable job with lots of openings and decent pay. So we decide on that...not actually checking into which campus it's offered on. So then last week we decide it's time for Dan to apply since it's pretty competitive to get in and you have to apply early, so we go to check to see if there are any openings in Halifax...nothing! The plumbing course is only offered on 3 campuses...Springhill, Sydney and Kentville! Nothing in Halifax at all...so now it looks like we are going to be moving to Kentville next year! So our plans have completely change, Dan went from living in Halifax and taking Business for 2 years to working in Halifax one year then living in Kentville and taking plumbing for one year! Pretty crazy, but it's going to work out in the end, I know it.

-Living in Kentville: I'm actually quite excited for this! My best friend lives in New Minas, which is about 15 mins away from Kentville, and I go out and visit her in the Valley often, and I've slowly fallen in love with the Valley...it's like the Sussex area of NS, but prettier in a way. It's a completely self sustained community (but feels isolated, which sucks). But yeah, everytime I go out there I come home telling Dan how I would like to live out there...and now I will! There isnt' alot of work, I must admit, it's going to be hard to find a good job, but the cost of living out there is much cheaper than Halifax, so it all evens out...we just need to work hard this year, save up some tuition money so that we won't have to get a loan, and then we should be ok. But yeah, I'd be close to my friend (the other married one) which is awesome, we could do things together (she has a very active life out there), she's going to buy a house soon, I can just seeing it being alot of fun. Who knows how long we'll be out there, after taking the one year course Dan has to be an apprentice for 4 years so we may be out there a very long time...10 months to go!

Anyway, I've ended up droning on and on for way too long, so I'm done now. I'm still contemplating whether I want to go to a party tonight or not...it's a friend from work, which is fine, but it's going to be all Spanish people, which isn't that bad it's just kind of intimidating because they will all be speaking spanish all the time....I'll probably go for a little while though, just to see...Anyway, I'm out!

No comments: