Saturday, February 5, 2011

Yes, I joined the 21st century...

[Instagram lovin']

Last weekend Dan and I went on a date (aka shopping and dinner), and we got new phones.  Dan's (a really simple flip phone) had died that day and had been screen-less for about a month, so we knew we needed new ones, and we both decided this time to get Smartphones...well, whether this was a good decision or not remains to be seen, but one thing is for sure, we're both quite addicted already!

I got an iPhone (the 3, not the 4, I didn't want to pay for it, haha), and Dan got an Android.  I would have been perfectly happy with a Droid too, but I knew that the iPhone allowed for some cool photo Apps so that's the main reason I got it (plus I use my phone mainly for surfing the web and apparently the iPhone is the best for that).  Dan really likes his Droid too so I'm happy.  I haven't really gotten into all the features I could be using I'm sure, but I hooked up my Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and emails, plus a few other handy free apps, so I think I'm basically set (I still need to put some music on there though).

Now, I always used to make fun of people who were addicted to their phones(especially iPhones), so I'm trying really hard not to be completely and utterly addicted to it, and I think that once the initial new-ness wears off I'll be ok, but at the moment it's definitely in my hand more than I'd probably like to admit (Dan too, maybe worse than me because he plays games on his!)  Anyway, in order to try and keep myself in check I've come up with a few 'phone rules' for myself, including:

-No phones at the dinner table (when Dan is eating with us that is, when it's just me and Victor I allow myself the distraction from the mess, haha)
-No phones in bed (I know a lot of people bring them to bed with them!)
-No phone in hand when talking to the cashier at the grocery store, bank, whatever (I find that kind of rude)

Anyway, another good/bad thing about having this phone is the camera on it.  I find myself taking more 'daily' photos of Victor, but at the same time, I'm ignoring my real camera because of it, so I haven't decided if this is good or bad (I'm leaning towards bad, hopefully I'll become less lazy soon!)

Are you an iPhone/Droid user?  Any cool Apps I should know about?  Are you totally addicted to your phone? 

Happy Saturday, be back soon (for real!) with Victor's 11-month update (his birthday is in 3 weeks from today, I better hurry!)

Until then,
G.

1 comment:

Stephie C said...

Ooh fun stuff! I am jealous of all the aps the iphones have but I just cannot move to a smartphone yet. We were going to get droids (my husband is WAY anti-apple LOL) but we were too cheap to pay the additional for the mandatory data plans!

I think your rules are very good :)