Saturday, January 7, 2012

Goals for 2012


For the past 2-3 years I've done a ton of 'real life' goals as my resolutions. Things that I either could and did or didn't do. But this year I thought I would try something new, more of a 'philosophical' approach to resolutions and goals (although I still hate philosophy, I'm not going all crazy or anything!)

After last year and all the surprises/work/stress/joys it threw at me, I knew that this year would most likely bring more of the same. With 2 kids under 3, my business going into its second year (and needing to stand on its own two feet), and a new (old) house that needs tons of labour and money, I can already image what 2012 is going to be like, so instead of just kidding myself by setting all these unrealistic goals (start running! finish all my old scrapbooks! go to the market every friday! etc etc), I just kept thinking these three things over and over (really, they all tie in together as one general idea, but it's split into three mantras).

Keep my expectations in check: I'm old enough now to know when I'm bullshitting myself and when I'm serious about something. My ambition is far greater than my capabilities. Every time I set a goal this year, I need to ask myself "Is this realistic?" "What's my motivation for wanting to do this?" "Am I going to be disappointed if I don't accomplish this?" "Is this something I really WANT to do, or do I feel like I SHOULD?". I'm not trying to weasel my way out of doing anything, I just want to be sure that when I'm setting my goals, that they can actually get done, which leads to...

Finish what you start: Pretty simple in theory, very hard in practice. I start sooo many projects but always lose steam about halfway through. Doesn't matter what it is, home decor projects, baking, reading, blogging, crafts, scrapbooking, I barely ever finish anything, and I hate it. I have this guilt hanging over me forever afterwards, and I just don't want to have those feelings anymore. I'm going to try really hard to just let go of what hasn't been done and focus really hard on finishing what I start from now on. Keeping my expectations in check will help with this since I won't be taking on anything for the wrong reasons or taking on anything that I know in my heart I won't finish. That's the idea anyway. I know I'm not the only one who struggles with this, it's a symptom of our Internet crazed, multitasking, busy, ADD society. Doesn't mean we shouldn't try to change though.

Keep it simple. In everything. Keep.it.simple.

So there you have it. My 'goals' for 2012. All the best to you in yours, and wish me luck in mine :)

Back next week with some scrappy stuff and kiddo updates.

G.

No comments: