Thursday, December 16, 2010

Vive le Québec!


This past weekend, Dan and I took our long-anticipated trip to Montreal to see UFC 124, and I have to say, it was completely and utterly awesome!  We were really lucky, weather-wise, the roads were good, we got to relax and see a new city, watch some awesome fights, and spend a lot of alone time together.  The only downside? It was way too short.

A few highlights:

*A 10-hour drive that seemed much shorter, partly thanks to Jon Stewart's audio book of Earth (totally hilarious, we listened to it twice!)

*Working on the tassels for Victor's blanket (almost done!)

*Stopping at the Irving Big-Stop for lunch and breakfast (Maritimers will know why this is a good thing)

*Seeing Notre Dame cathedral in Old Montreal (pictures below)  I never, ever, ever get tired of seeing beautiful churches.

*Walking down St-Catherine's Street and seeing all the Christmas displays and holiday shoppers bustling about

*Starbucks

*A heavenly king size bed. Enough said ;)

*Sleeping in (related to super comfy bed mentioned above)

*Eating sushi (yumm!) and having a few drinks for the first time in a looong time.

*Watching Georges St-Pierre kick Koscheck's ass for 5 straight rounds (and seeing lots of other good fights too)  I can totally see Dan and I becoming UFC live event junkies after this (hello Toronto in April!)

*Hearing the Montreal Symphony practice Handel's Messiah in the cathedral as we toured around

*Swimming in the hotel swimming pool (my first time swimming since Croatia in August of 09!)

*Testing out my next lens purchase (oooh man I loved it and want it NOW)

*Not worrying about naps or feedings or tripping over toys

*Wearing bras (non uni-boob sports bras that is), jewelry, a dress, heels, make-up, and generally having some time to put into my appearance

*Dan. Talking with, walking with, laughing with, kissing, and focusing on Dan

We're already excited for our next trip together and have decided that we need to make this happen from time to time, even if it means going without a few things for a little while to be able to afford it.  I HIGHLY recommend that parents get away together whenever they can, whether it be date nights or yearly trips, I know that it's going to be a life saver for us over the next 20 or so years, ha!

Anyway, here are a few pics from the trip (I've realized that I suck at taking vacation pictures, I just don't feel like pulling out my big DSLR for every little thing...again, I need a point and shoot and/or cellphone camera!)




Floor to ceiling windows in our 15th floor hotel room...freaked me out a little, honestly.






This is actually Mary Queen of the World Cathedral, it's a 1/2 scale replica of St Peter's in Rome...

Me with my boyfriend :)

Our computer fritzed out on us earlier this week so I'm surviving on a very lean Internet and computer diet (using the Playstation and TV), so I hope to be back next week, if the Christmas to-do list doesn't crush me first.

Until then,
G.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you guys had a great time, and you totally deserve it!!! LOVE the photo's (and the nailpolish!)

Stephie C said...

gorgeous shots Gen! Love your nails the purse the shot of your nails with the yarn, the gorgeous church shots etc!!! Too fun! I am dreaming of the day that me and hubby can get away together even if it is for a night! I just don't see it happening until maybe this summer though,....sigh.