Friday, September 18, 2009

The Name Game

Now, this might not be the wisest thing to do, but Dan and I have come up with a 'shortlist' of names that we are currently liking for the baby. Even though some of these will probably change in the next 5 months, I thought it might be fun to document what we are currently loving and see if one of them sticks, and if not, we can look back and say 'why in the world did we like THAT name?!'

People are quite opinionated about baby names, I've learned, and a lot of people don't like to reveal what they are going to name their baby for that reason, but I'm not too worried about it, since a) we might not pick these names anyway and b) who cares what other people think, you are the one who has to live with the name forever, so if you like it and it's not too weird/cruel, then it shouldn't matter what others say. Also, I'm not worried about anyone else 'stealing' my names (Sarah and Sara, this is for you! ha.) So flame away if you wish, or share the love :)

So, instead of just showing you a list of names, I thought it might be fun to play a little game. Below are some famous (and not so famous) people with names that we enjoy. See if you can name them all and leave them in the comments (if you want.) I wish I could think of a prize to offer, if I think of something I'll be sure to edit the post, but until then it's just a silly thing to do on a Friday night.

(Note: These aren't all the names on the list, just the ones that I could associate with a real life person, there are plenty of other names that don't have famous associations. Also, keep in mind that a lot of these names will be pronounced 'frenchly', which makes a big difference in some of the cases, at least for me. And the spelling might change too.)

We'll start with the girls:

1.

2.

3.
4.


5.


And now some of the gents:

1.


2.
3.


4.
5.



Could you guess them all?

If you have kids, how did you come up with their name?

Have a happy weekend, I may be back in Sunday with-shock!-a layout to share.

5 comments:

Ebbie said...

Urggh... you stumped me!! I only know Fiona, Audrey, and... Ewan!

With Logan, I choose his name (as well as a girl name) from the very beginning. I wanted a romantic - cowboy name. Hehe... so Logan it is. Enjoy your pregnancy... and your sleep... oh what I wouldn't do for 10 solid hours of zzzzzz's!

Congrats, and have a great weekend. Can't wait to see your layout! I need to work on a few layouts myself... maybe next week :)

oxenanny said...

omg I am so winning! (with Jory's help)

Girls: Vada, Ofelia, Fiona, Evangeline, Audrey

Boys: Marlon (but no! name the kid Brando! lolz), Ewan, Victor, Beck, Desmond.

WooooO!

Sarah said...

HaHa I only knew maybe two of them. I like all of the names. But am totally drawing a blank on our end I don't have much of a list. If it's a girl I like Anna but Trev isn't sold on it and we can't come up with a boys name yet. I had no method with naming the boys I picked Sean and Trev picked Hayden we didn't really decide until the babies were born.

Anonymous said...

I like most of "your" names (and you know I love YOUR name!) but recognized only two... It's odd to tell about my son's name 'cause it's such a Dutch name - no, it even is a "Zeeland" name (the province I was born) and he is also named after an old housefriend who died when I was nine... My son's name is Nout (his full name is Nout Jacob Hendrik, the other names are his granddads) I was glad it turned out to be a boy btw, 'cause I wasn't sure about the girls name we picked (Luca)... I'm curious about your list! (I remember looking at all the lists of names at the end of a movie to see if I liked a name - LOL!)

Stephie C said...

OMG I am struggling with names myself currently...especially boy names! I just posted over on SIS about it and was directed to you haha ;)

I had a friend whose daughters name was Vaida and I loved it :) Unless you were going for Anna? Either way I love Anna too haha...or were u going for Macualey for a girl? LOL