Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Random thoughts on this whole baby thing [@ 13 weeks]

(from this shop)

So, now that I'm allowing myself to finally think about this whole baby thing in real-life, it's-gonna-happen terms, I have a lot of thoughts going through my mind, and even though I can't say that they are very organized at this point, I still figured it might be nice to jot some of them down. Who knows, could turn into a scrap page eventually or somethin'...

Or it could just be that I just spent the last couple of hours reading through Loving Care. Who knows.

Anyway, here we go:

*I realize that it's still too early to really think about, but today on the bus I imagined what birth will be like for me emotionally; it'll be like going up a roller coaster that, as you are going up the first big hill, you suddenly think "I don't want to do this! I want OFF!!", but then once you go down and it's over, you realize how worth it it was. But that initial fear is gonna get me for sure.

*This afternoon, however, I was reading Emily's blog and she referenced a book that looks really good called "Spiritual Midwifery", I may look into getting a book like this at the library. I'm not so sure about all the supposed "hippy"ness to it, but I think that I could still learn something from it for sure. Now, a home birth would be ideal for me, since I'm not so big on hospitals, but unfortunately our provinces do not offer midwives as part of our health care, and even if they did, there aren't any around, so it's not really an option for me (I'm still thankful though that everything else is covered, I could not imagine having the added stress of trying to figure out how to pay for having my baby!!)

*I'm currently debating whether I should take prenatal classes. For anyone who took them, were they helpful? Remember, I do work for the Department of Health Promotion and Protection, and I spend most of my days having to [proof]read books about babies and pregnancy, so I have a pretty good basic understanding of what constitutes a healthy pregnancy, birth, etc. Also, I'm anti-social and haven't 'aww'ed out loud once about my pregnancy, so spending time with a bunch of 'awwing' pregnant women doesn't sound like the best time for me.

*I'm about 60% sold on cloth diapering (we'll probably end up using a mix of both), 100% sold on breastfeeding, 100% sold on co-sleeping and NOT bed-sharing, and only about 50% sold on the whole attachment thing (from what I know about it-does anyone have any good links explaining it more?)

*My coworker has generously agreed to give me a bunch of her baby stuff and I'm so thankful for that, since money is going to be tight as it is and we really won't be able to go overboard with the baby stuff for the first little while. Right now we are planning on saving up for a car seat, stroller, crib and maybe some sort of swing, and hoping that everything else will either be given or bought 2nd hand (especially the clothes). Still, she's telling me about all these things she has for me, and mostly I have no idea what they all are...

*My co-worker is also pregnant, [5 months], and she was talking about her "extreme" worries over whether to get a bassinet or crib because of all the recalls and safety concerns and blah blah blah, and also all the research she's been doing on car seats, and I'm like "huh?" I am SOOO not going to be that type of mother-to-be (not to say I won't look for safe furniture for my baby, but I ain't spending 3 hours of my time checking to see which cribs have a 0.2% chance of my baby getting caught in between the bars or gate that lowers. No thank you.)

*Absolutely no preference on boy or girl at this point, all I know is that I kind of wish I were having a baby in the Fall because the clothes right now are sooooo cute! My baby would be decked out in forest friends gear, no question. (My mom told me that having a baby in March though-the same month she had me-is a good time to have one because by the time the baby is 3 months old and 'ready' to get out of the house, spring is here. The first 3 months you don't really go far anyway so having him or her in the middle of winter isn't such a big deal.)

*It's unfortunate that I won't know where we are going to be living up until about a month before the baby is born, because I won't be able to set up the nursery until the last minute. That doesn't mean that I don't dream about it though. Etsy provides lots of inspo, and Ashley Ann's nursery for her daughter is probably the nicest one I've seen so far, lots of inspiration there.

Here are a few things from Etsy I'm loving right now for a nursery (trying to be gender neutral at this point.)


(Poms from Pomlove)

(ICK bag from Petunia's)

(Personalized Name print by Penny People)

(a bit creepy-but still lovely-by my fav, Art & Ghosts)

Well I guess that's all. Other, non-baby randoms:

*I want a pumpkin spice latte from Starbucks like nobody's business. Sooo many people have been talking about them on Twitter, it's nuts!

*I may scrapbook tonight! Shock! The Scrapmojo challenge looks really fun and easy, scrap about your name, the perfect way to ease back into a hobby I haven't touched in months...

*I also need to get to the fabric store this week to buy some fabric for Sara's baby blanket, which I hope to start working on this weekend with my mom. It's the long weekend and it's supposed to be nice and we are going home and I CAN'T WAIT.

Happy Mid-week everyone!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I have a good book by Sear's family on attachment parenting. I liked it because it definitely gave a more balanced approach to the whole subject. Basically it just gives some best suggestions as well as some medical stuff. It's quite a big book but you can pick and choose what topics you want to read. I'll try to get it too you in the near future.

PS there is a section for dad's too which is really helpful

AshleyAnn said...

WOW...thanks for the super sweet comment about my nursery. Congratulations on your coming little one!

Stephie C said...

LOL I am hooked on owl or foresty type theme for our nursery as well! I am also due in March and wishing it was fall but what can ya do? Also loving poms for the ceiling ;)