Thursday, December 31, 2009

Goals for 2010

Well it's that time of year again, I can't believe it! We just got back yesterday from being away with our families for a week, and even though it was lovely and great, I'm pretty happy to be home (and off work) for a few days to catch up and relax. I'll probably do a Christmas re-cap in the New Year, but I wanted to share my Goals for 2010 which, for the last 4 years, I've documented both as scrap pages and blog entries.

First though, here are my previous years' pages, I can see that I'm definitely a fan of the strip journaling for these...







And here's my page for this year (not sure why it's so bright and cheery, guess it was all the BG Urban Prairie I used, it went with the pic I had...)



So my Goals for 2010 are somewhat similar to the goals I've had in the past, not sure if that's a good sign or a bad one (ha!). Anyway, here they are:

1. Survive (and thrive at) being a mother: Obviously the biggest change that's coming for us in 2010 is the birth of our little baby sometime in February/early March, so I'm trying to be realistic about what I can accomplish next year, knowing that I'll have this little person who will need me most of the time and will take a lot of my focus/energy (not that I mind). So part of me is just thinking that I need to survive being a first time mom, survive the late nights and lack of sleep, the pains/joys of breastfeeding, the fears and worries I'll have about every little thing, and all the other concerns and challenges that new moms face. I don't only want to survive this first year with him though, I want to be good at it. Of course I'll have lots to learn and I'll make plenty of mistakes, but I want to be the best mother I can be and have the best family possible, so I'm determined to do everything I can to make that happen.

2. Save the down payment for a house, continue to pay off debt and bulk up the Emergency Account: I always have to include a financial goal in my list, and this year's is the same as last's. In 2009 we managed to save quite a bit for our down payment (about half I would say), but we didn't save enough, so I'm hoping that 2010 will be the year that we finally make it happen. We've got our finances pretty much in order which is great (2009 was the first year ever where Dan and I both worked full time for the entire year), but now the trick will be learning to adapt to the new way of doing things once we move and our incomes change, and also finding a way to continue saving/paying off debt while I'm on Mat Leave. I would also like our Emergency account to cover more than what it does now (it will need to built back up from scratch once we use what we have for the house), and I want to continue at the rate we're at now in our debt payments, which is still painfully slow but at least it's something. My other mini-goal is to have our credit cards paid off by the time the baby is born.

3. Build my photography portfolio: Besides the baby, this is the one I'm most excited about. Before I got pregnant this year I had major plans to move forward with my photography, but it all got shot to wayside once little bébé came into the picture (I just couldn't handle it both physically and mentally), so I'm hoping to start back up on it in the New Year. My main goal will just be to get a variety of shots to start building a portfolio that I can eventually use to show clients and start a website. I know of at least one wedding/engagement I'll be able to shoot, of course I'll have a newborn/baby model to use, and I'll have to ask anyone and everyone to let me shoot them over the year. I think that moving to Sussex will be a good first step, the locations and possibilities for shoots alone will be a great motivator for me I think. It's ambitious and will take a lot of work on my end (I admit I'm nowhere near ready to start taking on clients at this point), but if I have enough shots built up over the year, then perhaps I'll make it a goal to take on clients in 2011. This is my creative goal/dream, so I really want to work hard at it.

4. Keep my marriage a priority: With all the new changes coming our way, I wanted to make sure that I kept Dan and our marriage at the forefront of it all. I truly believe that a happy marriage makes for happy parents and that there's no way that I could ever get through this life without him, so I intend to make time for us alone, not to let the baby consume all of my time/thoughts (within reason of course, I know the first few months are going to be tough), and to keep reminding myself how lucky I am to have such a wonderful man, husband and father in my life.

5. Travel at least once outside of the Maritimes: This one is already covered since I know that we'll be flying out to British Columbia in the summer for my friend Heather's wedding. I'm so happy that I'll get to travel in 2010 though, I never want the joy of travel to leave my life. It can adapt (no more running off to Europe alone for 2 weeks), but as long as I get to leave home for a period of time and experience something new, I'll be happy.

6. Garden: Pretty straight forward. This is my 'practical skills' goal. My sister has grand plans for a garden at her house next year, and so I intend to help her with it as much as I can and learn the joys of growing our own food.

7. Continue blogging and scrapping at current rate: I love blogging and I really hope that I'll be able to keep it up next year. This is kind of my selfish goal, but I think it's really important that I keep something for myself and that I don't become consumed by being 'Mama' all the time. I've managed to post (on average) twice a week for most of the year, so if I can do the same in 2010 then I'll be happy. I have some scrappy goals I want to accomplish as well, finishing up projects mostly and using up my Stash.

8. Get involved: This one might be the toughest to accomplish, actually. I'm so anti-social most of the time, but with a new little baby on the way I have the perfect opportunity to get out there, meet new people, make new friends and get involved in my community (which will be my hometown, so all the more reason). Whether that means going to mommy-and-me type groups, crop nights, a running club, a cooking/photography class, anything at all, I want to get out there and experience new things and new people. It will be good for me I know, but like I said, might be the toughest one to actually do.

9. Change my eating habits: I should have started this one, oh, about 6 months ago (ha), but I realize that I'm not just feeding myself anymore, there's someone else in the picture who needs more nourishment and a healthier diet than what I'm providing. I fully intend to give my baby the best start in life, and that includes providing him with the best and healthiest food possible, which means I myself will have to change what I put into my body. Gardening (Goal 6) should help this along I think, but it will also just take some sheer will power and willingness on my end to try new things. Another practical goal, but also probably one of the hardest (I'm a chip addict, I can't help it!)

10. Start going to church: This has always been my intention once we moved home; I have a few churches in mind, I'll have to try them out once we get home, but I really want to be part of a church community and get back 'on the path' as they say.

Well, there they are, 10 goals for 2010. I'd love to hear what your resolutions/goals are for the next year, so if you did a similar post, please comment and link me up!

I hope you all have a wonderful end to 2009 and a spectacular 2010. I personally cannot wait for the new decade (and all the wonderful things it will bring) to arrive.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just a quick stop on your blog to wish you and your loved ones a HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! And what a year this will be!!! I'm so glad you reached one goal (the ONE goal) from last year... wishing you all the luck and a lot of happiness in 2010!